carb adjustment for altitude
Just popping in
From blairsville
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 21
HP : 0 / 5
MP : 1 / 70
I have a 2006 it was in Florida now I have it in Blairsville,Ga. Which is on the average altitude of 1600 ft..
The original owner had a carbon fiber exhaust put on it so I imagine he also had to have it re-jetted.
I was wondering since the altitude isn't thousands of feet difference, could I just adjust the fuel screws for each carb?
If so what could any body suggest on how much.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 17:30

Re: carb adjustment for altitude
Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23551
If you have slip on canisters, most likely it wasnt rejetted. I'd suggest for the most part is pull off a plug and look at it. That will tell you if your running rich or lean. Only a full exhaust system needs jetting. Sometimes a slipon will justify smaller jets. but runs fine without.....

Posted on: 2014/6/13 9:27

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Just popping in
From blairsville
Group:
Right, just the muffler part its self is the carbon fiber, I believe the actual header pipes are original.
I'm getting some poping when cruising down the road at around 40-55 mph. My nephew had rode it in Fl. and he said it ran alot better down there at that alt., so,I'm just trying to make things right. Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 2:53

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Popping can mean several things. Is the bike seem like its holding back on you when you crack the throttle? Does it hard idle? If its just popping a little and runs strong, just try turning the air/fuel screws out 1/8 each. Normally we run them set at 2.5 turns out. Another thing could be you might need to clean the carbs out with the shotgun method. I do this at least once a year to assure all the circuits inside the carbs are clean. Check here for the shotgun: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm. Another thought too is check your airbox to assure its all seated down properly on top of all 4 carbs. Sometimes the slightest air leak can cause popping too. How long has it been since the carbs were sync'd? I sync mine annually in the spring for the riding season. Even out of sync carbs can cause that, but thats most likely not the case.

So, check the airbox seating first, shotgun second, turn air/fuel screws out 1/8 turn each, last sync. If it was me, I'd do them all anyhow.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 10:49

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Just popping in
From blairsville
Group:
Thanks for your help , I'll definitely will take your advice. The bike runs strong, no lag at all. I have to keep the choke on just a hair or it will stall when coming to a stop.
I'll do what you suggest and keep you informed. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 21:43

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Now seeing you cant run without choke on, do the shotgun for sure. I bought a 2001 that ran great with the choke on, but as soon as you turned the choke off, it stalled. Once I did the shotgun, it purred like a kitten!

Posted on: 2014/6/16 11:53

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.