Just popping in
From Tamarac
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 1
Hello,

I have a 97 Max. No mods except carbs dyno stage 1 kit. I do what the manual says about oil, yamalube 10-40. However, figuring it d be good to go synthetic I tried Mobile 1 synthetic 10-40 motorcycle oil. I know for a fact I didn't overfill, and i definitely emptied out all old oil ; shortly after riding oil made it's ways into the airbox, about half a quart. Needless to say performance degraded. Cleaned out airbox, drained oil and replaced with yamalube 10-40 with no resulting problems. Any ideas on what happened? And I wanted to try Yamalube synthetic but cant seem to find 10-40; 10-50 ok?Lucas makes a synthetic motorcycle 10-40 that ive read great things about from user and site reviews.

Posted on: 1/4 15:41

Re: Oil
Not too shy to talk
From Galesburg
Group:
Level : 4; EXP : 94
HP : 0 / 98
MP : 12 / 1525
You answered your own question. You put conventional oil back in with no problems. These bikes were designed to run on conventional oil. New motor running on synthetic maybe but not one that has been running conventional. I tried synthetic once in my 85 and the clutch started slipping. Went back to conventional with no further problems and its much cheaper.

Posted on: 1/5 4:30

Just popping in
From Tamarac
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 1
Yes, I'm guessing I did through trial and error. It's just that synthetic oil receives so much praise, even from motorcyclist, I'd give it a try. RTFM, read the f*ng manual has been for a long time what I've done. Be sticking with it...

Posted on: 1/5 19:55

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23450
Most of us around here run the Rotella 15W40 oil and it works great. There's no need to run synthetic. Not sure why it vented up into the airbox but I'd think the viscosity was too thin therefore venting up the engine vent tube. I change my oil every spring as regular maintenance and for the performance and money you cant beat Rotella!

Posted on: 1/8 12:50

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.