VMOA.net
http://starriderperformance.com

Login

Browsing this Thread: 

Share on Facebook  

TECH - GEN2 - Let There be (more) Light!
Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 55
HP : 0 / 463
MP : 148 / 22918

I just love going to VMOA VMax rally's. It's mostly for the great friendships and conversations but first and foremost, for the bikes. I'm a bit of a shutterbug and enjoy seeing everyone of my friends' bikes, year after year, to see what kind of mods or changes they have made to their rides.

I'm always quick to grab my phone or camera and start snapping pictures. I feel like a kid in a candy store, kinda getting ideas from everything I see and decide if their new mods or crazy creative creation is just what I'm looking for. Well, this past summer, I came across something I liked, it was different and also functional for me all at the same time.

When I was at Thunder in the Valley, 2012, I ran into one of my buddies, Ron Ireland, from New York, he had a new Addition to the bike that I instantly said to myself; “yes, that's the ticket, that's what I'm looking for”

He had these lights installed into his scoops on his 2009 Gen-2 VMax. He had them nicely installed and as an extra benefit, he had them wired to a remote control. I thought "Wow, what a great idea so I immediately started asking him questions about them; "where did he get them, were they hard to install, were they expensive", etc...

Ron only had 1 “halo” LED light installed in the top opening of each scoop, however there are 4 holes. Before long, he was disclosing the name of the EBay seller he got them from, but quickly told me he had no luck finding the LED lights for the bottom holes because they are a tad bit smaller.

After I got home, I broke out the measuring tape and started making the metric conversions and discovered the top holes are roughly 80mm in diameter and the bottom ones are 74mm. I started digging around on EBay and I ended up buying all 4 lights from the same EBay seller.

Of course they were in China so I was gonna have to wait, for what I felt was gonna be an eternity. I quickly wrote an E-Mail asking them to “group” ship them together. At least when they arrived (together) I could begin my project.

Well, of course, It just didn't happen that way, in fact, they sent me the smaller lights separately. The larger ones… they only shipped one. Need I say, I was slightly irritated. Another 3+ weeks of waiting.

Well, when I FINALLY got all 4 LED lights together, I just decided that I didn't want to hook these lights up to a Remote Control. I felt that as bright as they are, (mounted inside the holes of Chrome scoops made them even brighter), they would REALLY serve a better purpose of being on whenever the bike was on.

I work second shift and come home late, when its dark, so these "angel eyes halos" just became my auxiliary nightti me lighting. They really do a good job of lighting up the street at night and the second benefit is, I can be seen by the "Idiot Drivers", that we have here in Cincinnati.

If Anyone is interested in performing this mod to their Gen-2 please don't hesitate to drop me a line to get some specifics on how it is installed. ENJOY! Respectfully,

Rick Fambry #3622

Posted on: 2013/11/4 15:06

Edited by vmax2extreme on 2013/11/4 17:49:40

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.