Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23559

Since my bike is a 1995 model as I have mentioned before, it was really starting to show wear and tear in the past few years. It bothered me to see all these little bolts with rust spots that were all over the bike. Even though I’ve kept the bike in a garage, the years were still taking their toll. There is a simple, inexpensive, and effective way to spruce up your Vmax. I’m referring to stainless steel replacement bolts. There are a few kits out on the market that range from $25 for a basic set, to about $60 for a more complete set. I have even
seen sets for other bikes that include almost 500 pieces! You can also purchase bolts from one of our members, Mike Sayers. Check out the vendor list for more info. Some companies even offer chrome bolts. You can utilize any or all bolts of each set, and use them
in any location that you choose, if they are the correct size. It is great for older bikes, like mine, or ones that have been a little neglected over the years. The set that I received was from desmoparts.com, located in Houston, Texas. The cost was $49 plus $8 priority S&H. You can purchase through Ebay, or directly from their web site. You can have this shipped outside the U.S. for $24. They have been in business for quite a few years, and put out some quality products. This is a mostly complete set that covers quite a few bolts on the bike, even bolts that aren’t in plain sight. The set consists of 215 pieces total, and contains A2/70 grade metric stainless steel designed specifically for the VMax, years 1985 through 2007. They also include an organized list of what bolt goes where on the bike, with complete instructions. The bolts are contained in eight separate bags, which are labeled to correspond with the list. This makes finding the right bolts a breeze. The nice things about this project, is that you get a lot of bang for the buck, and you can do a little at a time to fi t with your schedule, or level of patience. I just did one area at a time, when I had some free time here & there. You can keep the installation very easy, by simply taking out one bolt at a time, and putting a new bolt, from the kit, in its place. I was instantly amazed at how much of an improvement the bolts make. Even for ones that were not rusted or even worn, these new bolts are still much nicer. They stay nice much longer than stock bolts, since they do not corrode. The components covered in this kit include;
• hand control hardware
• brake & clutch reservoir cover
• mini windscreen hardware
• turn signal mountings
• engine cover screws
• handlebar mounts
• side intake panels
• intake manifolds
• carb side screws
• license plate kit
• oil pan screws
• windscreen
• radiator
• plus some additional spots.
Even if your bike doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, and is mostly/all stock, this simple upgrade really makes a big difference!

Happy Riding!
Steven Katz
N.E. USA Regional Director

Posted on: 2013/11/4 13:33

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.