Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23570

When I decided to make some minor changes to my VMax, at the same time that I ordered and installed the BrakeAway Throttle lock I decided to get rid of the gaudy stock tail light assembly on my bike. So once again I headed to E-Bay and found this LED Tail light/Brake Light for 1985-2007 Yamaha VMax. See the photo of it installed on my bike Note: This tail light is not made specifically for the VMax but has been specially machined and modified to fit the VMax.

It was listed by a Top-rated seller id scoobyvan, just do a search on this E-Bay username and you will find his listings.

The Tail Light came with chrome mounting bolts & nuts, also a custom harness pre-wired to fit the VMax, "plug and play" no cutting or splicing required…

The parts & wiring diagrams came along with a set of detailed instructions and helpful tips sheet for ease of installation, (installation took less than one hour).

You will notice that I took the opportunity to move my tail lights from the Grab Rail, stock position. I even went so far as to replace the “Mini” turn signals, I had, with a new set of LED turn signals that mount on the Licence plate holder, (I also installed a set of “Mini” LED turn signals up Front), In this new position they are almost impossible to miss! Coupled with the LED brake light no one should ever be able to say they couldn’t see me!

The new tail light mounts to the existing stock bracket and is very sturdy. It was a very clean install and it looks like it was made for the bike. It was as advertised; truly “Plug & Play” Note: the Licence plate portion accepts a standard U.S. size motorcycle license plate (7" X 4") with 5-3/4" X 2-3/4" bolt hole spacing.

The cost of the LED tail Light assembly was right around $125.00 US and the LED turn signals were around $25.00 US…

By the way, when switching to LED’ turn signals you must include and install a load resistor for each LED light… Otherwise your turn signals will flash very very quickly! That’s a subject for a separate Tech Article…

I give this product an 8, overall, and I would recommend it…

Later/Steve Jasse

Posted on: 2013/11/5 11:34

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Re: Tech Review: LED TAIL/Brake Light License Plate Holder
Not too shy to talk
From Plainfield, IL 60586
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 4; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 92
MP : 11 / 1666
I have the same light from Scoobyvan. Also Highly recommend it. It is one of the most dramatic changes that can be made to the overall look of the bike for a relatively small investment. One note: had to get creative getting my plate to fit in the frame. IL plates (or maybe they're all like that) are stamped exceptionally high/deep. Wound up trimming the plate until I could just set it in through the front of the frame.

Attach file:

jpg  avatar.jpg (288.82 KB)
5195_5278f600dd12a.jpg 864X648 px

Posted on: 2013/11/5 13:43

Not too shy to talk
Group:
PS - I fixed my LED vs incandescent problem (all lights flashing) with a diode kit from Kuryakyn (7.99)

Posted on: 2013/11/5 13:47

Just popping in
From Albany
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 6
The taillight looks great!

Nice integrated look. How is the nightitme visibility - i.e. is it brighter than the original??

Posted on: 2015/8/24 1:36

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Brighter at night. I hace had folks tell me it's hard to see in bright light.

Posted on: 2015/9/16 17:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]