Hello everyone. i have a few questions.
Just popping in
From Effingham
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 21
HP : 0 / 5
MP : 1 / 73
Hey guys, i own a 05 Vmax and am looking to improve it a bit from stock.
Right now i am looking to get a new seat am currently looking at Maxgasser and corbin dual saddle and would love some thoughts if any.

I am also thinking of Chroming my Air scoops and was curious if anyone had some pics of how that would look with the red Vmax. Even found one place that can Chrome in colors or even Black chrome. but would love to see that.

The last thing i am looking at doing at least this year is an HID head light and i wanted see what recommendaions from Max owners would be.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 22:26

Re: Hello everyone. i have a few questions.
Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23450
First of all welcome to the VMOA. I too own an '05 vmax. I have a Morley Muscle seat which is pretty good if you want to keep the stock look, but have comfort too. Sean Morley of Morleys Muscle, is a great vendor and resource for your vmax. Checkout his website at www.morleysmuscle.com. The stock seat just sux!!! I wouldnt do a corbin since they are like hard saddles and the routing of the gas isnt all that good being a one piece seat. Now the Maxgasser, from Rick is an awesome seat too. Its a complete seat replacement over the stock reworked one, but it comes with a big price tag too. If price is no option, then perhaps that might be your option. If you come to Thunder 2014, Rick will be there with samples you can put on your bike to test out.

You cant go wrong with Chrome. I am attaching a pic of my '05 setup with chromed scoops, side panels and backrest. I have seen colored and they look good too. I like the contrast of colors personally, but to each their own. Sean Morley of Morleys Muscle does colored chrome too and his prices are pretty reasonable. All my current chrome is from him and he does an awesome job!

I have been running HID in the stock housing for several years now. My setup runs a slim ballast and a hi/lo bulb, but they dont make that bulb anymore so you need to use a single low beam bulb which is fine since you DO NOT NEED high beam on HID. Its like night and day. I do mostly night riding or riding to work in the early morning actually so it really helps light things up without disturbing oncoming traffic too. Its definately worth the upgrade since its not all that expensive.

My bike has many upgrades as you will see with the picture. I converted all my lighting over to LED and just the HID 55w headlight.

Feel free to contact if you want to know more about setting up your bike. Always willing to talk....

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2014/3/12 9:35

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Not too shy to talk
From Plainfield, IL 60586
Group:
Level : 4; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 92
MP : 11 / 1642
Welcome - while you're looking at seats check out the StarFighter from Planet Vmax. Just got mine - couldn't be happier. Great people to work with. Answered all my questions. This is actually a seat conversion and it yields a lower, more comfortable ride. You send in your seat and if it is in good condition they swap out yours from one that's already set to go. if your seat needs work (like mine did - broken plastic in the center section) they will recover the seat you sent. Even with the repair and recover I had my seat back in less than a week! You can get the best deal if you buy through their eBay post. Even with shipping it comes out a bit cheaper. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Vmax-V ... sh=item43ba0a26d0&vxp=mtr

Also looking to upgrade my headlight the one I'm looking at is listed below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370859958752? ... geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posted on: 2014/3/12 15:16

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
The Planetvmax aka UFO starfighter seat is similar to the Morleys Muscle Seat and RMSportmax seat. They all use the stock seat and rework it for a drop down and more comfort. A week turnaround is great. I have worked with Planetvmax for our website and they are great people too.

As to the HID setup, I would checkout the forums for that type of HID since it uses HID low beam and halogen hi beam. I have heard of these kind of setups giving you a few seconds of darkness switching between low and hi beams which isnt a good thing!!! Believe me, you dont need a hi beam anyhow with a real HID system. I never use mine. Lastly, I would recommend the 6000k over 8000k since you want a pure white, not that fake bluish tint lighting. My setup uses a 55w 6000k HID bulb which illuminates the roads so much more efficient than the stock halogen bulb. I even tried a 100w xenon bulb against it and HID is the way to go. Best bang for your buck for sure!!!

Just my 2 cents.....

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:32

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Thanks for your input Mike. My headlamp is a pain to get at since I added the cowl and I'd rather not learn by trial and error.

Bud

Posted on: 2014/3/12 19:12

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Also keep in mind upgrading to the HID is a simple conversion since it uses an adapter plug for the headlight. There will be a lot of extra wiring to tuck away although. I have all my wiring and ballast behind my left side scoop. Nothing exposed to show aftermarket hookup or a mess in general.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 19:55

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Nice. May ping you again with questions when I install.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 20:07

Not too shy to talk
From Tell City IN
Group:
Level : 4; EXP : 22
HP : 0 / 80
MP : 10 / 2766
I REALLY LIKE MY CORBIN.YES, IT IS FIRM.WHEN I FIRST SAT ON IT I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO FIRM.BUT AFTER I RODE IT 250 MILES THE FIRST TIME OUT,I REALIZED I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION.FIRM IS GREAT FOR LONG RIDES.SIT ON A GOLD WING SOMETIME AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.THEY KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT LONG RIDES.ALSO,YOU HEIGHT HAS ALOT TO DO WITH IT.CORBIN IS THE ONLY SEAT I COULD FIND THAT DID NOT REDUCE SEAT HEIGHT.I'M 6'1.DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING LOWER THAN STOCK.I HAVE NO PROBLEM GASING UP LIKE SOME CORBIN OUNERS HAVE COMPLAINED OF.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 2:29

Just popping in
From Effingham
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 21
HP : 0 / 5
MP : 1 / 73
If i go corbin i am looking at the Dual saddle its all they have left for Gen1. So it won't lower me at all, how wide is the thigh area, i heard that it gets pretty wide. and have heard that the gas acess is pretty slim. is that true.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:30

Quite a regular
From Lindenwold, NJ
Group:
Directors - Ultimate
Level : 6; EXP : 34
HP : 0 / 133
MP : 18 / 3551
Hi David, I too wasn't happy with the stock seat, as many maxxers are not either. I went with the Corbin saddle, I believe it's called the gunslinger, or gunfighter.... It is kind of firm and a little on the wider side. I do like the slightly lower position, and it definitely has improved comfort while riding. You lose the storage under the seat, but it's virtually worthless anyway. It has a very convenient way to fuel, and an accommodation for a rider backrest, if you want to add in the future. It jousts pops right in and out. I also have been happy with the style and the way it fits the look of the bike. Certainly check out Morleys muscle for chroming your scoops. He tends to be very competitive with pricing, and does quality work. If you are making it to thunder this year, there will be several bikes there that have his scoops on them for you to check out, plus a wide array of seats to see. hope to see you there!

Posted on: 2014/3/14 0:44
Regional Director
856-534-4749

Not too shy to talk
From Tell City IN
Group:
Level : 4; EXP : 22
HP : 0 / 80
MP : 10 / 2766
THE CORBIN IS WIDER .WHAT IS SO GOOD ABOUT THAT IS THAT IT CRADLES YOU AND SITS YOU IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PLACE FEET ON EXTRA HIGHWAY PEGS.IT MIGHT CREATE A PROBLEM IF YOU ARE SHORT AT A STOPLIGHT.BUT IF YOU ARE 6FT OR SO,YOU WILL BE FINE.I DON'T HAVE NO PROBLEMS GASING UP.MY WIFE ALSO LIKES THE CORBIN MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 0:57

Just popping in
From Lorena
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 0
I had my scoope on a 01 max painted a grey with trhe carbon over the rest, it looks awesome! I understand the best bang for the buck is radials.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 19:28

Not too shy to talk
From Galesburg
Group:
Level : 4; EXP : 94
HP : 0 / 98
MP : 12 / 1525
Radials make a huge improvement in handling and overall looks. The front stock wheel will accept a radial tire the stock rear will not. Unfortunately the wheels are not cheap. I bought a used 18" wheel for $650 and that was a good price, good condition RC wheel. 17" wheels have more of a selection then 18". They are expensive but well worth it.

Posted on: 2015/11/22 0:29

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Yes, radials are like night and day. I changed over a few years back to 17" radials and love them. They make a world of difference in handling and the new rear wheels allow you to get wider wheels (up to 180 without modifying swingarm). My picture of my '05 vmax above has Dymag CH3 wheels front/back installed.

Posted on: 2015/12/10 12:09

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Just popping in
From Innisfail, Alberta, CANADA
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 47
HP : 0 / 11
MP : 2 / 355
I have a 2005 Vmax as well. Before I replaced the stock headlight with an MT-01, I added PIAA HID driving lights to the bike. They are aimed low and really brighten up the ride at night. They clamp to the forks and they are a great addition to my bike.

Posted on: 1/10 17:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]