Just popping in
From Kleinburg
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 60
HP : 0 / 15
MP : 2 / 170
Hey everyone,

I'm curious has anyone ever used a traffic light trigger on their vmax? Does it work or is it just a gimmick?

Even though the Max ain't no small bike. I constantly find myself sitting at traffic lights that never change. Around here, you gotta have a big enough vehicle to set off the magnetic field which tells the traffic light that someone is sitting there.

They sell what's Called "traffic light trigger" which is essentially a really powerful magnet that you mount on the bottom of your bike. The theory is that when you roll over you will set off that magnetic field and trigger the traffic light to cycle.

Has anyone tried these? Is it just a gimmick? For $7 online its not the cost but i just don't wanna waste my time if it doesn't work.

Finally, I'm not that technically Saavy. Are there concerns with mounting a strong magnet on the bottom of your bike? I know you wouldn't want to pass a magnet near the ABS sensor but are there other concerns that anyone can think of?

As always, I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think

Posted on: 2015/2/2 2:34

Re: Traffic light triggers
Just popping in
From El Dorado CA
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 73
HP : 0 / 18
MP : 2 / 348
My personal belief is that they are mostly just a gimmick. As I understand it, most light triggers are wire loops embedded in the pavement, which sense vehicle mass, not magnetic fields. Therefore magnets wouldn't help. I have heard, but have not confirmed, that putting your kickstand down on one of the wires will trigger it.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 6:03

Just popping in
From Kleinburg
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 60
HP : 0 / 15
MP : 2 / 170
It's times like these that I wish I paid more attention in physics class!

You are correct, those "traffic induction loops" as they are called are essentially a wire in the pavement. A current is passed through and creates a magnetic field which gets interrupted when a vehicle enters the space. From what I have read, its the mass of the vehicle which interrupts the field (not the weight). The magnetic field acts like a giant metal detector and the mass of metal (your car) changes the magnetic field and the signal triggers the traffic light to cycle.

I wonder if I can somehow put this to the test. There is a light right near me that I always get stuck at. Maybe once the weather gets better ill go out there and test the different methods.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 20:09

Just popping in
From palm springs
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 47
HP : 0 / 11
MP : 2 / 134
Put your kickstand down on the wire.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 1:55

Just popping in
From Barrie
Group:
Level : 3; EXP : 20
HP : 0 / 55
MP : 6 / 637
It's been my experience that the light gets triggered when I stop near to the 'edge' of the sensor area. I've found that if I stop in the middle of the rectangle sensor area, nothing happens. However, if I stop near the left or right side, then the sensor gets tripped. Having read the posts above (thanks guys!), it makes sense that this is why I find more success.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 15:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]