Just popping in
From Elgin
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 1
Greetings,

I hope this post finds you all well. I just bought a 1999 V-Max that seems to be all original and was hoping that some of you seasoned V-Max owners could give me some feedback on what aftermarket items you found to be best for the V-Max.

Specifically, I am looking to do something to the exhaust. I'd like to replace the stock mufflers/exhaust with something that makes the bike sound meaner and perhaps, adds a bit of HP without requiring re-jetting.

I'd also like some feedback on the need for a frame brace and/or the best one(s) to buy. I've read/heard some things about the frame flexing...

Finally, I'd like to add engine guards and highway pegs to the bike. Any suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance for your time.

MisterE

Posted on: 12/27 15:20

Re: Looking For Experienced Suggestions on Mods
Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 71
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23674
Hello MisterE,

I have owned several vmax's since 1998 and here are my personal suggestions:

Exhaust - for just sound, you can swap out your stock exhaust with Supertrapps. This is by far the best for just adding sound to your bike and doesnt add any additional HP or need re-jetting. For more HP, you need to obtain a Full exhaust system. By adding a full exhaust system, you will need to re-jet since it will be running far too rich. I run an old Holeshot 4:1 full exhaust with a Morleys Big Air Kit, but didnt re-jet at all. It runs a bit rich, but is fine. You will need to get a better breathing intake system either way. K&N filters are great and re-usable.

Frame - I do have a superbrace that really doesnt do much to the bike, but by using a real frame brace such as a RMSportmax or FMaerz framebrace would be best. It does stiffen up the bike overall, but still not as necessary.

I would suggest upgrading your front fork springs to either progressive or works performance springs to stiffen up the front end and make it more responsive. I run the progressive with a 1" internal lowering (kit allows to lower 1'-2').

Recover stock seat with a SRP, Morley, or RMSportmax lowered seat. This is far more comfortable than the stock seat and lowers you down 1.5" to have better control and center of gravity.

It all depends on how deep your pockets go since there are so many upgrades possible on this bike.

I hope this helps.......

Posted on: 12/28 16:07

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Just popping in
From Elgin
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 1
Thank you!

Posted on: 1/2 20:25

Not too shy to talk
From Galesburg
Group:
Level : 4; EXP : 94
HP : 0 / 98
MP : 12 / 1567
It is a little expensive but an upgrade to radial tires is by far in my opinion the best mod you can do to these bikes. How long have bias ply tires been gone on nearly all vehicles? Radial tire will fit front stock wheel but rear is a different storey.

Posted on: 1/3 2:10

Just popping in
From Innisfail, Alberta, CANADA
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 47
HP : 0 / 11
MP : 2 / 360
I have modified many vehicles and the first thing you might want to do is figure out what you want out of the bike.
Do you want a daily driver? Something that you can use in all weather? Parts that you can put on yourself? Added safety?

Once you figure out what you want, then you have to figure out to what level or expense you want to go. I have put in over $15,000 into my 2005 Vmax after my crash and I still want to add a few more parts, so it is best to figure out what you are after and is the bike able to give you what you want.

If you are looking at building the bike up, but don't have huge cash, look into gently used parts that will offer you the same goal. A new set of slip-ons could be the same price as a used full system, so look for some deals where you can.

There are many great vendors here that have new and used performance parts, so source some out and they can even help you in your build, but be sure that you deal with a good parts guy as some have dealt with poor vendors and did not get the parts they ordered ..... just putting that in there from past experience.

Ride safe, Lucas

Posted on: 1/10 17:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]