electrical nightmare HELP !!!!!!!!!!
Just popping in
From lasvegas
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 11
help me if you can please.new to the form and have a 85 vmax1200n and have power to the front coils and back but no spark to the front ..when turning it over . rears have spark. when i jump the solenoid i get spark to front and rear plugs .of course you cant jump the solenoid because the starter will stay engaged.. any help will be helpful thanks Dennis 702-460-5921

Posted on: 2014/4/15 20:11

Re: electrical nightmare HELP !!!!!!!!!!
Just popping in
From 103-E- Chatham Ave Pleasantville N.J.
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 10
HP : 0 / 2
MP : 1 / 70
I had the same problem with my 85 V-Max . Try unplugging the Side stand relay located by the ignition coil on the left side of the bike. I am not a Tech guy so I can not explain why it corrected the problem. But it worked for me. I hope this works for you.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 20:38

Just popping in
From Hagerhill, Ky
Group:
Level : 2; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 43
MP : 5 / 2170
When you unplug your side stand you are taking away some of the resistance on the Diode. The diode controls clutch, side stand , kill switch and lets power go to the ignitor box. An 85 ???? will have problems with the connections, oxydizing. Check connections. By the way the diode is a small black rectangle plug-in about 1" wide X 1 1/2" long and 1/4" thick In front of the Carbs. I will be in the wiring harness over top of the Vboost motor. Change this item. And if this doesn`t cure problem it will be the ignitor box, some call it CDI box.
These items control the firing to your coils.
Still I would clean connections on your wiring harness.
Process of elimination says that one side of the ignitor box is burned out, since you are getting fire to back 2 cylinders the diode is working. Ignitor Box !

Posted on: 2014/4/25 13:17

Edited by xxxmax-2939 on 2014/4/25 14:10:55

Just popping in
From Hagerhill, Ky
Group:
Level : 2; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 43
MP : 5 / 2170
I am not trying to run you in circles which you already have, but there is another component that leads to firing on an 85.
Like I said diode which is a no and the ignitor box which is a probably. and there is two Pick Up Coils on the stator. There were two pick ups up to 93 and these were changed to one pick up.
Check pick up coils one can be working which will give you fire to the ignitor box while the other one isn`t working which will give you no fire.
Five wire harness plug in coming off the stator. B, WR, O, Gray, W-green. 110 OHMs is the proper reading. I don`t know which wires to read thru for reading. If you get 110 OHM across two wires, 10% allowance and no reading or above or below reading between another wire one of the pick up coils are bad.
Pick up coil power goes to Ignitor box to fire coils.
So this leaves you two options. One of the pick ups or the ignitor box.
Hope this helps you with the Grimlin.

Posted on: 2014/4/25 15:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]