overheating
Just popping in
From Cortland
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 86
HP : 0 / 21
MP : 3 / 233
Owned my bike for 3 yrs now. My engine always seems to get too hot when I'm riding around town in the summer months. Upon take off from a traffic light, it can sputter and hesitate. Sometimes it actually stalls out. I flush and change out the coolant regularly. What's going on? And thanks for any support.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 16:04

Re: overheating
Quite a regular
From Lindenwold, NJ
Group:
Directors - Ultimate
Level : 6; EXP : 34
HP : 0 / 133
MP : 18 / 3711
The Gen 1 Vmaxxes tend to run hot. I have done several things to help this, and it seems to work. I changed out the plastic stock fan blade for a stainless version that has a better blade pitch and 6 instead of 5 blades. I also installed a manual switch so that I may turn on the fan before the engine gets too hot. It works well when doing traveling around town at lower speeds in hotter weather. I also use a red coolant made by Toyota that is among the best out there. I put a 50/50 water mix in the radiator. Last but not least I use a coolant additive called wetter. It is a small bottle about 4 oz you add to your coolant mixture. All of these items can be purchased through eBay I believe, but there are many suppliers of aftermarket Vmax parts out there. Hope that helps. I suffered from those issues for years, but now all is good.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 2:11
Regional Director
856-534-4749

Not too shy to talk
From Galesburg
Group:
Level : 4; EXP : 94
HP : 0 / 98
MP : 12 / 1642
Like Steve I also have a manual switch that I can turn on in town when it starts to heat up. This is a nice option when to have when in town at stop and go traffic. I also use Engine Ice for coolant which seems to work well also.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 20:49

Just popping in
From Cortland
Group:
Level : 1; EXP : 86
HP : 0 / 21
MP : 3 / 233
Thank you for your input.

Posted on: 2015/7/18 1:19

You can view topic.