seeking qualified mechanic
Just popping in
From Cedar Rapids
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 15
Hello all. I bought my vmax 3 years ago. I love it, vmax is the best bike. Last year I changed the exhaust, worst mistake ever! To date it has been through 4 local mechanics & is worse off than when I first took it in. I have wasted $1,500 and am at my wits end. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA, can anyone please recommend a qualified vmax mechanic?! If I have to drive a little I don't mind as long as it gets fixed right. If not my plan B is to push it to the side of the garage and buy another bike. Some might say "fix it yourself" but I already know I can't fix carbs, and if professional mechanics can't fix it I doubt I can. On top of getting it running correctly now it needs a new vboost controller and parts for the choke because the third mechanics ruined them both. PLEASE, any suggestions on a good mechanic would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.

Posted on: 2012/7/1 17:09

Re: seeking qualified mechanic
Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23551
Hi Matthew,

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with your vmax. I have been riding a vmax since 1998 and this is my third one. I'm no expert, but I do know how to work on the carbs since they can be so problematic on the bike. I am not sure how far you are from Kansas, but Sean Morley of Morley Muscle located in Rose Hill, Ks. 67133 might be worth contacting for further assistance. Either he can help you or perhaps he might know someone closer to you to assist. Seans number is (316) 619-8411.

Best of luck to you and dont give up!

Posted on: 2012/7/3 10:02

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Just popping in
From Cedar Rapids
Group:
MP : 0 / 15
Hi Mike.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard of Morley Muscle, I am in Iowa so Kansas is a little ways away. But it apears I may not have much choice. I just picked up my bike from the fourth mechanic, it got about six miles before it started dying and blowing black smoke. I will take it back to him one more time but if he can't get it right in two tries he probably can't get it right at all. I will try Morley and see if he knows of anyone closer to me to take it to. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a good holiday.

Posted on: 2012/7/4 21:10

Just popping in
From Fruit Cove Florida
Group:
MP : 0 / 10
I just purchased my 2010 bike with 2461 miles on it on April 16th. I need to schedule my 4,000 service and wondered who you recommend in the greater Jacksonville florida area. thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/27 20:36

Quite a regular
From Deltona
Group:
Webmasters
Level : 6; EXP : 19
HP : 0 / 129
MP : 18 / 7516

It would help us if you gave us a little more information... You said you changed the exhaust... What exactly did you change?

Did you completely remove the stock exhaust system and replace it with What? Make and model? 4 into 2 into 1 or 4 into 2?

Did you you just put slip ons on?

When you changed the exhaust did you also install a jet kit?

Is your bike set up with stock carbs and factory jetting? Stage seven? Flat slides?

Where are your needles set at?

Have the carbs been balanced?

Do you still have VBoost?

Your answer to These questions will help us give you some areas to look at and possible fixes.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 14:40

Just popping in
From Fruit Cove Florida
Group:
MP : 0 / 10
I have a completely stock bike. I was asking if someone knew of a vmax experienced mechanic at a dealership or otherwise. I took if to first coast powersports in saint augustine for my 4000 mile check up but i will have my 8000 coming up soon. thanks, James

Posted on: 2013/7/31 11:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]