Vboost
Just popping in
From clarksville TN
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 10
HP : 0 / 2
MP : 1 / 65
My V boost has not been coming on when I turn on my bike for a while now and I am wondering what are the steps I need to take to figure out what part of the V boost is not working correctly? Also since I have never worked on it I would need to know where each part would be to check/fix.

86 V max
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/6/9 20:27

Re: Vboost
Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 77
HP : 0 / 469
MP : 151 / 25017
Hi Johnny,

When you turn on your bike initially before turning start, you should hear the fuel pump clicking filling the carbs up and also a sequence of mechanical noises which is the vboost. If you dont hear these noises, its possible that your vboost connections at the relay may need cleaning. Being you have an older bike it could be the case. I had this issue when I first bought my 1995. The relay is located behind the left scoop all the way forward. There are 3 connections on the relay and I would pull them all off and check the leads. You can try ruffing it up with some sandpaper. That did the job for me. First try that and then we can go from there.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 1:56

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Just popping in
From clarksville TN
Group:
Now my bike is a rebuilt from a fire that I found out from a car fax check. The parts are in good condition from what I can see, now I felt a little confused because when I checked the most forward relay there were 6 male and female connectors instead of 3 like you said (oh well). I hope it was the right one cause after I did what I could to sand them a little I turned the key on and plugged the relay back in and the fuel pump turned on but no V boost noise. I referenced my Haynes manual for any fuse check with no luck. So whats next?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/6/13 0:10

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Sorry if my terminology is wrong. If you look below, you can see the connector that I am talking about for the relay. Its just a 3 wire connector that is white in color. This is behind the left scoop.

When you turn the key to on, does the VBoost Servo cycle? You can hear the 3 distinct "Whiring sounds" when it opens, closes and takes the slack out of the cable. You can also see this operation by looking between the front and rear cylinders on the right side above the H where your carb drain tubes are located.

If you dont hear the VBoost Server cycling, then usually the relay connector is the culprit. Wiggling the connections and cleaning usually is the fix. If thats not it, the controller can be the problem which I'm not experienced with. You might want to contact Sean Morley of Morley Muscle and he can assist you further with advice for sure.

Attach file:

jpg  vboost connector.jpg (62.90 KB)
67_4fd879b831ebb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/13 11:17

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Just popping in
From clarksville TN
Group:
Yea I found the three wires, who ever put this together didn't use the original connectors and zip tied them . They were connected to some odd shaped thing and had a fourth wire going into one pair of wires (all in great condition). I hit them up with some sand paper but still no luck.

Now if it the control module (that is the bigger black box inside the left scoop), is there a way to repair it or do I have to either ride with no boost or fork over the money?

Attach file:

jpg  GetAttachment.aspx.jpg (29.25 KB)
4331_4fdcc90e966de.jpg 159X213 px

Posted on: 2012/6/16 17:57

Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
You can contact Sean Morley of Morley Muscle if you want to see if he has a used vboost controller that you can get ahold of to test if its bad before purchasing it from him. Also CaptKyle I know is parting out a vmax and might have one for sale. I'd say get that vboost controller swapped out since your missing your high end now.

Here is a site selling aftermarker controllers: http://micromachines.ca/

Posted on: 2012/6/17 1:04

Edited by vmax2extreme on 2012/6/17 11:10:22

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.