Just popping in
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 2; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 25
MP : 3 / 168
G/day from downunder Sydney Australia.
I've searched the forum to see if there's anything posted re this problem.
Nothing found although I'm sure there were post on the old forum re Hot Starting.
Riding home the other day during speed limitations for school zones and heavy traffic the trike got hot as a result.
I already have a bypass switch for the radiator fan and had this on. The engine cut out whilst sitting in traffic.
Despite a fully charged battery it would not crank over. Once at the side of the road I had to wait 15-20 mins for the
engine to cool before it would crank over again and start. This has happened on two other occasions during heavy
traffic. Can anyone help with a solution?
Some advise please as I dread going out in traffic and avoid school closing times.
Cheers
Fitzystrike

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1697.JPG (2,653.40 KB)
7336_555db8745bd69.jpg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 10:50

Re: Hot starting
Just popping in
From 551 Upland Drive,Coldstream (Vernon) B.C.,Canada
Group:
Level : 2; EXP : 12
HP : 0 / 28
MP : 3 / 1111
Fitzystrike;Question for you. Have you ever flushed the cooling system. If NO to this you know have several options.1. Do a simple 50/50,deionized water and white vinegar.flush. 2. Take rad to rad shop and have them clean and hot flush it. 3. Check impeller on water pump.They can be worn if wrong anti-freeze used. 4. If all this fails install a custom 1500 Gen 1 rad. Your rad shop may be able to do this for you. I had good luck with Motul's Motorcool with Water Wetter added to it. Have recently changed to Engine Ice which is a propylene glycol formula as its non-toxic and my wife's cats spend a lot of time on the shop's heated floor in the winter. Hope this has been of help. Glenn Bearss (MAXGZ-3376).Vernon,BC, Canada.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 0:37

Re: Hot starting
Just popping in
From Sydney
Group:
Level : 2; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 25
MP : 3 / 168
Hey many thanks Glenn
No I was thinking of doing a flush but as you suggested the radiator shop might be the better option.
I was also thinking after posting that it might be a faulty thermostat. I'll strip it all down and have a look
at the water pump impeller too!
The trike temp gauge is only half way when all this happens.
I'll be advised by radiator shop as to coolant but the propylene glycol formula sounds like the go.
We have all sorts non-descript brands here. Most are to be avoided. Coloured water.
Thanks for the advise
Cheers
Fitzystrike

Posted on: 2015/5/22 5:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.