Webmaster
From Mount Airy
Group:
BRCAdmins
Webmasters
Level : 19; EXP : 30
HP : 0 / 457
MP : 144 / 21728

After receiving my first issue of the V-Boost, summer 2000, I was hungry for more info.

I had purchased my 2000 VMax in late April, 2000. I joined the VMOA in early June.

I discovered, via the VMOA website, that you could buy past issues at a reduced price. I ordered all the past issues from 1997 to just before I had joined. This provided me many great articles, tech info and owner & rally profiles. I think all the past tech articles are certainly still relevant for today's Gen-1 owners.

I would like to share an excellent tech article written by John Ganey, from PCW Racing, and published in the summer, 1997 V-Boost issue. John is recognized as a master VMax engine builder and did an outstanding job on my 2000 VMax with a 165 HP 1500cc “Tourmaster” that ran flawlessly, for several years before I sold it to finance my Gen-2 upgrades.

Please enjoy this article as I hope to review and share additional tech articles in future issues.
Thanks; Rick Rash #1283

…another popular question is: “Should I change my oil every 1000 miles, or sooner?” Well we may open a can of worms on this topic, but here goes; DON’T, do it so often!

Recently I had a customer call, in complete desperation, because his engine had a “hurt” rod bearing. During the conversation he mentioned that he had been changing his oil every 800 miles!

We’ve received many phone calls over the past few years from people who also had rod bearing failure in their VMax engine. An alarming number of these failures happened after their “monthly” oil and filter change. Here was a guy who would give up his bowling night or his brother’s bachelor party to make sure that the “Evil” fluid was drained from his “baby” and fresh clean high tech lube was flowing in his VMax’s veins. Believe me, I appreciate the people who take care their bikes. All we want to do is squash a very popular belief so that more engines won’t be damaged.

If you have your VMax engine rebuilt or the transmission repaired so that you receive an “oil dry” engine at your house to reinstall, follow this simple procedure, which is right out of the service manual, (chapter 8, general specifications page 1). It states oil capacity to be 5.0 U.S. Quarts.

“Wait a minute! I put in 4 U.S. Quarts during my oil and filter changes!” You’re right and the service manual reflects that in the chapter 2 oil service section. When your engine is totally reassembled DRY it requires an EXTRA quart of oil just to fill the non-drainable pressure side of the system.

This is why you should put your 5 quarts in the engine, remove your spark plugs and give your engine five 8 second spins with the starter motor (stick the loose plugs in the plug wire end caps and lay them on the valve covers). This will purge the air out of the pressure side of the system and fill it with oil.

If you pour in 4 quarts of fresh oil and hit the starter button, your fresh VMax engine is going to run a “long” time before any oil reaches the rod bearings. This is when the damage begins to occurs. Frequent oil changes done without “purging” can accelerate rod bearing failure!

The first place in your VMax engine that receives oil pressure is the transmission. Once that is area is pressurized your “poor” rod bearings start to get their oil bath.

In an engine with fresh rings and honed cylinders you should use a 10-40 or 20-40 weight petroleum based motor oil to break it in. “Trick” synthetic oils can reduce friction so much that your ring seal may be comprised. You should run your break-in oil a minimum of 600 miles. At that point buy some quality petroleum-synthetic blend, like Golden Spectro, put in 4 quarts with a new filter. If you pull the spark plugs and do the “spin purge” you will eliminate any dry running damage.

Follow the 5000-8000 mile rule on oil service intervals. The factory guys say 8200 miles or once a riding season works fine.

You are riding a liquid cooled bike that does not abuse it’s oil with air cooled type heat exchange. Air cooled bikes are like “fryolators”! All you’re missing are the curly fries! Park at a light, in the city, on a 85 degree day and you can almost hear the oil sizzling! Air cooled heat disperses straight up, in the absence of lateral air movement. The VMax cooling system draws engine heat away with it’s water jacket and radiator. Less heat, better, and longer oil life, fewer oil changes and longer life for the rod bearings!

John Ganey

Posted on: 2013/11/4 15:12

Edited by vmax2extreme on 2013/11/4 17:34:30
Edited by vmax2extreme on 2013/11/4 17:35:29

Mike Moore
VMOA Webmaster

Re: Tech Article: Bearing in Mind
Just popping in
From Waterbury
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 34
HP : 0 / 8
MP : 1 / 104
I recently picked up my third VMAX a 2005, very clean in appearance , pristine looking bike with 9,900k under $4K the dealership I got it from said they had no maintenance/history on the Bike. Upon receiving the bike from shipper, I started it up and after a warm up it ran
fine and idled smooth. During my first ride about 10 miles in I noticed a humming sound, like a possible wheel or shaft bearing noise which got worse when I got up to 75 to 80mph. didn't want to push it with that going on, I can't seem to pinpoint its origin. I've never heard or experienced anything like it during my nearly 30,000 miles riding on the VMAX . I bit discomforting. Do you know of any possible culprits ?? Think i'm gonna need a good honest mechanic.

Posted on: 9/14 16:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]