VMOA.net
http://www.exactrep.com

Login

Browsing this Thread: 

Share on Facebook  

Changing the Cylinder head covers
Guest_
Hello to everyone!
My baby, a 2004 VMAX, needs some work; the Cylinder head covers look HORRIBLE. For some reason, the "paint" started to peel, and the head cover gaskets on both sides of the engine are shot and 'perspiring' a bit of oil every now and then. Also, I came to realize that it might be burning a bit of oil too, because I did an oil change at 43K km, and I topped it almost to full, and when I checked it this weekend, OIL level was a little less than half. Does anybody know why did this happen? I want to fix it, but I wouldn't want to buy new caps, go through all this hassle of installing them, and have them go bad all over again.

Also, any tips on how difficult changing these caps is? How about changing the gaskets or rubber mounts where the caps sit on? Are they difficult to glue on? Any ideas on which glue I should use?? Any tips whatsoever on doing this work on the bike, would be extremely helpful! (I was quoted 500 bucks by Kahuna powersports).

To add more info, I always use full synthetic oil, change it and filter every 4000-5000Km, and rarely push it to VBoost point.
Thanks guys!
Jeremy-5555

Posted on: 2011/9/19 14:52

Re: Changing the Cylinder head covers
Administrator
From Milton, Ontario Canada
Group:
Directors - Ultimate
Level : 3; EXP : 9
HP : 0 / 52
MP : 6 / 2162
Jeremy,

Changing the valve covers is pretty time consuming as you have to remove the carbs and move just about everything on top of the motor to get them out. I also believe you will need to move the radiator as well. Lots of work. One reason you may be burning oil is running full synthetic. My Max hates full synthetic and will burn it for some reason. Switching back to dino oil solves the problem. Not sure why it happens, but it does. If you want I can do the work for you at my place in Milton. You would just have to drop the bike by my place and schedule a night or two to come over and help me do the work. Call it "sweat equity", but I will want you there to learn how the job is done so next time you can have a go at it yourself. This is also a good time to check the valve clearances as we will be in there already. You should order in new valve cover gaskets for sure. Also pick up some Yamabond gasket sealant as that makes it easier to put the gaskets in place and keep them there when installing the covers. Get a hold of me via email if you want me to help.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 16:09
VMOA#4046
VMOA President

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.