gear whine
Just popping in
From Tottenham Ontario
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Level : 1; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 0
when Im gearing down or even get off the throttle i have this whine coming from the engine, If i put the bike up on the centre stand and run the bike in first gear there seems to be alot of back lash but not with the rear hub. What should i be checking I had her into a local yamaha stealership and they said there was nothing wrong BUT Its slowly getting louder

Posted on: 2012/5/28 2:00

Re: gear whine
Quite a regular
From Deltona
Group:
Registered Users - Ultimate
Webmasters
Level : 6; EXP : 19
HP : 0 / 129
MP : 18 / 7890
It is very difficult, as you can well imagine, to troubleshoot a problem that manifests itself with sound, without being able to hear it ourselves...

However, one of the first things I would do is get out my mechanics stethoscope and try to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from...

Do you hear this whine when the bike is up on the center stand and is in neutral. and you rev it up and ease off the throttle?

Do you hear it with a gear selected and the rear wheel turning?with the rear wheel turning and you pull in the clutch do you still hear it?

Have you drained a little bit of the gear oil out of the drain plug on the rear pumpkin and inspected the oil?

The ultimate test, to eliminate the rear pumpkin, would be to disconnect the drive shaft at the at the back of the engine and run the engine in gear, without the drive shaft attached, and see if you still hear the whine....

You should also check your clutch pack...

But first I would use the mechanics stethoscope to try to isolate the source of the whine..

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2012/5/29 19:48

Re: gear whine
Guest_
The nut inside you differential could be coming loose its a pretty common thing. You might want to pull the differentail & Make sure the nut is tight that that is under the driveshaft.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 22:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]